It seems as though couples are engaged for only a day before tying the knot, or is it just me? A recent survey, conducted by yours truly, has proven that, “when you know, you know.” Engagement is a time to enjoy each others love, but how are you to know what is too long or too short?
Why wait any longer after getting engaged, when you know that the one you are with is the one you will be with forever. There are so many couples who go straight from friends, to dating, to exclusive, to engaged, then to marriage right away. There are others who date for years and years before ever saying I love you or even thinking about taking the step towards engagement. Everyone is different, and there is no right or wrong way to do it.
“When you know you know,” has a whole different meaning when it comes to being engaged. There are some couples who want to spend some time enjoying their long engagement together. Then there are others who would rather get right to the point so they can get on with being happily ever after.
THE PROS & CONS OF ENGAGEMENT
PROS & CONS: BEING ENGAGED FOR A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME (0 – 12 MONTHS):
- Right away you become husband and wife and get to share a last name
- You can celebrate the wedding with family and friends sooner than later
- There’s not too much time to grow your nerves for the big day
- Maybe you’re not planning a wedding, so you’re saving money for your future
- There is not much time to enjoy the title of fiance and time being engaged
- You won’t have much time to plan your wedding
- Spend this time really making sure you know each other
- Stress is a major part in planning the big day
PROS & CONS: BEING ENGAGED FOR A LONG AMOUNT OF TIME (13 – 24+ MONTHS):
- Anticipate becoming husband and wife
- Plan the wedding of your dreams to celebrate your love with family and friends
- Enjoy being fiance’s and call each other Beyonce and be all #fiance
- Maybe you’re not planning a wedding, so you’re investing in a home/trip, yay!
- If you’re engaged too long it may give you both some time to chicken out
- You might lose some momentum or efforts planning the wedding for so long
- You have plenty of time to make sure you really know each other
- More time to be super stressed with all the wedding planning